I finished and submitted a piece this week about the way in which women’s intelligence is seen by men (especially in the realm of dating). The piece was born out of frustration, but I guess life decided to play a joke on me, very kindly allowing me to experience some more examples of what I’d just written about. So here, without further ado, is the first post (probably in a series of many) of “silly/obnoxious things boys have said to me”.
- What’s African writing?
- How’d you get into that (African writing)?
- Is it (African writing) hard to read?
- Well I mean like obviously not for you, but for a normal person?
- Just trying to be friendly and talk to a girl who seems actually interesting
- I try and read pretty widely, but am definitely lacking in the international literature department
- By gothic do you mean like all that bleak house kinda stuff? Or is that a proper literature term I don’t know?
- Wow I guess you are pretty smart
- About writing: Submit publications – like be a writer? Oh nice! Could I find any of your books if I googled them? Oh you mean its like a hobby?
- Hey you seem so smart! (Attempted pickup line)
- (Me: Let’s say I like my body to tell me I’m not pregnant) Him: Shit are you pregnant?